The Edmondson Blog


Down-Hill Cycling

After I was given my first bike as an adult, I rode round on it for a year or so, and although it was reasonable fun, it didn't seem as much fun as it could be. Eventually, I sat down and de-constructed the entire cycling experience to understand what parts I enjoyed and what parts I didn't. I very quickly realised the problem was I didn't like riding up hill. So I resolved never to do so again.

This decision might seem restrictive, but it was, in fact very liberating. A little bit of school-boy geography (such as all rivers run down-hill) and I was away. It was easier to figure out how to get home from the bottom of a far away hill than to cycle back to the top. My local station, Orpington, is 400 feet above sea-level and with Charing Cross only 42 feet up, a whole new world beckoned. I can park at Orpington, cycle into London, 18 or so miles - the journey drops about 18 feet per mile - and get the train back. Fabulous. I've really enjoyed my cycling ever since.

0 Responses to “Down-Hill Cycling”

Post a Comment



© 2007 The Edmondson Blog